The idea of self-loving and self-empowerment is on the up — especially amongst women who are standing up for themselves more than ever before. This has given rise to the self-love ring, a gift that women buy for themselves as a treat and token of self-appreciation. Some women are taking it as far as marrying themselves and others are in a relationship referred to as ‘sologamy’. Together with Angelic Diamonds, retailers of halo engagement rings, we take a closer look at the trend and how women are showing off their independence.
Where did the self-love ring begin?
The trend of self-love rings began to take hold in 2016. It’s not known exactly what drove the trend, as women have been preaching self-appreciation for many years! But it could be down to a combination of these things:
- The rise of social media platforms like Snapchat and Instagram has encouraged women to love themselves. Although seeing filtered beach bodies on our news feed isn’t always great, there have been many women who have posted photos of their natural selves too and persuaded others to do the same. For example, there was a trend which involved ‘No Make-up Selfies’ — a photo of yourself without make-up. Many celebrities participated in this and told women to love their natural selves! The selfie culture in general pushes women to appreciate their bodies, as they post photos of themselves and receive ‘likes’ and comments from their friends and family.
- The influence of celebrities has encouraged women to love themselves too. Many famous figures have talked about their tough times growing up and how they’ve learnt to appreciate themselves. Others have encouraged magazines and photographers to not edit their photos so that women can see that their bodies are not in fact flawless.
- There has also been a rise in participants of meditation and mindfulness — taking time out of the day to be present within yourself. Research has shown that it can reduce stress, depression and anxiety and experts encourage people to take time out of their day to focus on meditation interlinks with self-love as it focuses on taking time out of the day to concentrate on yourself.
The jewellery behind it all
They are being called anti-engagement rings, but that’s not what self-love rings define. They are meant to represent one’s commitment to oneself and a dedication that you’ll put yourself first and look after your own well-being. They are meant to be worn on your little finger — to represent a ‘pinky promise’ to yourself. Some jewellers offered specific ‘pinky’ rings but they can be bought as a smaller regular engagement ring.
Quotes from those who are all about self-love have said that a lot of things change when you begin to love yourself. You change the way that you act and this can positively affect your relationship as you no longer rely on your partner to make you happy.
Some girls have been making it into a friendship activity too. This brings the focus of friendship to the forefront as they focus on one another and make a pledge to both love yourselves.
Some women are taking the whole idea further through organising themselves a big day. The first sologamous wedding was thought to be in 1993, when an American woman called Linda Barker married herself in front of her close friends.
The ceremony is not currently a legal process. You can’t divorce yourself, claim legal fees and your marital status won’t change, instead it is simply a celebration, although vows can be made. It appears as though it is more women who are taking part in this than men, possibly as a protest against the pressures that they often feel to be in a relationship.
When asked why women chose to organise themselves a self-love ceremony, they said:
- The ceremony was a deep act of self-acceptance, saying your commitments out loud in front of friends and family solidified them.
- It was a celebration of the commitment to the health, well-being, and happiness of oneself.
Some may think that this is only for single people, but it’s not! Some women who have gone through the ceremony have partners and husbands, but this day was all about them! A company has been created on the back of these ceremonies called I Married Me — it offers wedding supplies to one-person ceremonies.
It doesn’t have to be all about the ring though, there are plenty of ways to give yourself some self-affection. Treat yourself to some clothing that you’ve been wanting for a while, have a spa day or just invest some time into you!